Justice 4 ALL Madeleine McCann Family
You need to be a member of this forum in order to view its entire contents.
We welcome applications to join the forum from genuine caring compassionate people that wish to support Mr Mrs McCann in their never ending resolve to finding their daughter Madeleine and bringing her back home where she truly belongs.

All applicants are checked out so people with no sense, no moral compass, no rationality and only half a brain cell and even less grip on reality and who are devoid of all logic - need NOT apply!
This also applies to ex-members, who no longer want to be members, yet spend their lives viewing this forum and telling people they no longer want to be members.
This is said without prejudice with no one in particular in mind.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You need to be a member of this forum in order to view its entire contents.
We welcome applications to join the forum from genuine caring compassionate people that wish to support Mr Mrs McCann in their never ending resolve to finding their daughter Madeleine and bringing her back home where she truly belongs.

All applicants are checked out so people with no sense, no moral compass, no rationality and only half a brain cell and even less grip on reality and who are devoid of all logic - need NOT apply!
This also applies to ex-members, who no longer want to be members, yet spend their lives viewing this forum and telling people they no longer want to be members.
This is said without prejudice with no one in particular in mind.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bennett's Booklet and the Trading Standards.

5 posters

Go down

Bennett's Booklet and the Trading Standards. Empty Bennett's Booklet and the Trading Standards.

Post by vee8 Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:46 pm

I was just thinking, does bennett's little book of suggestions contravine any trading standards? We know for a fact it could be open to questions about being innacurate and libelous, but I am not familiar with the trading standards laws, could we get it pulled by complaining to the proper authorities?
vee8
vee8
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 3113
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.madeleine-adestinybegun.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Bennett's Booklet and the Trading Standards. Empty Re: Bennett's Booklet and the Trading Standards.

Post by christabel Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:27 am

Vee,

Ring your local Trading Standards office they will be able to tell you.

This is a bit off their site.

Our responsibilities

Some of the areas we are responsible for include:

• description and safety of consumer goods
  • estate agents' property descriptions
  • credit and loans
  • food labelling and descriptions
  • pricing
  • ensuring weights and measures equipment is correct.

We are able to:

• advise you about your legal rights when buying goods or services
  • guide you in pursuing a complaint yourself
  • identify sources of information and help
  • help you prepare for court in certain circumstances
  • mediate with a trader on your behalf, when appropriate.

We are not able to:

• demand refunds, replacements or apologies from traders or close them down
  • take court action on your behalf
  • pursue an unjustifiable complaint
  • divulge trader information
christabel
christabel
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1637
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Bennett's Booklet and the Trading Standards. Empty Re: Bennett's Booklet and the Trading Standards.

Post by dianeh Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:54 pm

I dont think that is the appropriate place to make a complaint.

What about the place where you make complaints about the media. I read some articles recently where there have been a number of complaints made about various newspapers. So maybe the same could be done about Bennet's booklet. After all, it is being publised as fact, not as fiction, so maybe that puts it under the 'news' category

The Press Complaints Commission

Considers complaints about the editorial content of magazines and newspapers. All complaints must be in writing.

http://www.pcc.org.uk/

New Media Complaints

If the content is believed to be illegal, it can be reported to the Internet Watch Foundation

http://www.iwf.org.uk/

I dont have time to read up on what these actually do, and whether or not a self publised booklet would come under their jurisdiction. But I dont believe that a self published booklet can be done without there being some means to make a complaint, or without having to resort to libel action.
dianeh
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 3465
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by vee8 Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:57 pm

Thanks for the info girls, I think every possible avenue should be explored. That gutterpress rag should not be allowed to get away with this. In my opinion it looks like it could be illegal, I wonder if we can get someone to take a look at it? I just wish I had more time off work, so I could spend more time devoted to it.

Last edited by Rosiepops on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forum Revamp)
vee8
vee8
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 3113
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.madeleine-adestinybegun.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by hollysmum Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:30 pm

I don't think you can complain to the Press Complaints Commission about Bennett, I don't think they can help with private publishers. I used to work in the media a few years ago, know a little bit about the PCC. You would first need to send a letter complaining about the booklet to Bennett, if you are not satisfied with his reply, you would then complain to the PCC, enclosing the booklet, your letter to Bennett and his reply to you, they would then look at all the info and get back to you.

hollysmum

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by clairesy Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:54 pm

vee8 wrote:I was just thinking, does bent -tit's little book of lies contravine any trading standards? We know for a fact it is innacurate and libelous, but I am not familiar with the trading standards laws, could we get it pulled by complaining to the proper authorities?

Cant see why not vee8,would be nice wouldn't it.And after all trading standards are there to make sure the consumers are not being misled by a product etc.His book breaks that rule straight away because he lies in his book which will result in the consumer being fed false information.

I suppose it all depends how hes advertising his book............as fact or fiction??If hes advertising it as fact then trading standards could probably do something.If hes advertising it as a fiction book then probably not although i reckon the mccann's lawyers will see to that for them.
clairesy
clairesy
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 2698
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down