Justice 4 ALL Madeleine McCann Family
You need to be a member of this forum in order to view its entire contents.
We welcome applications to join the forum from genuine caring compassionate people that wish to support Mr Mrs McCann in their never ending resolve to finding their daughter Madeleine and bringing her back home where she truly belongs.

All applicants are checked out so people with no sense, no moral compass, no rationality and only half a brain cell and even less grip on reality and who are devoid of all logic - need NOT apply!
This also applies to ex-members, who no longer want to be members, yet spend their lives viewing this forum and telling people they no longer want to be members.
This is said without prejudice with no one in particular in mind.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You need to be a member of this forum in order to view its entire contents.
We welcome applications to join the forum from genuine caring compassionate people that wish to support Mr Mrs McCann in their never ending resolve to finding their daughter Madeleine and bringing her back home where she truly belongs.

All applicants are checked out so people with no sense, no moral compass, no rationality and only half a brain cell and even less grip on reality and who are devoid of all logic - need NOT apply!
This also applies to ex-members, who no longer want to be members, yet spend their lives viewing this forum and telling people they no longer want to be members.
This is said without prejudice with no one in particular in mind.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murat To Get Damages From Papers

5 posters

Go down

Murat To Get Damages From Papers Empty Murat To Get Damages From Papers

Post by christabel Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:39 pm

[

Last edited by christabel on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
christabel
christabel
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1637
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Murat To Get Damages From Papers Empty Libel Damages

Post by dianeh Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:23 am

I have long been arguing that Murat has been subject to the same type of accusations as the McCanns in the media. The media have no more proof against him than they did against the McCanns. Just because we have suspicions about him (all driven by media reports I must add) and think he needed to be investigated doesnt mean that he isnt allowed to the same considerations as per the libel laws as everyone else. In short, the press and everyone else does not know what involvement Murat had with Madeleine's disappearance, if in fact he had anything to do with it at all.

And as such he is entitled to compensation. If in the future he turned out to be not so innocent, then the papers could counter sue to get their money back.

The issue is that libel isnt allowed, no matter who the target it, and all people should be considered equal under the law. It has to be remembered that the only defence against libel is the truth, and it is obvious with both the McCanns and Murat that the papers must be able to prove what they are publishing. And that includes re-publishing libellous articles. And they couldnt prove it, could they???

Highlighting issues that we feel need to be investigated, such as Murat's and Michaela's alibis, is not libel. But accusing Murat of being involved in something to do with Madleleine's disappearance is. He is also entitled to the assumption of innocence until proven guilty. But this doesnt mean that questions cannot be asked. After all the assumption of innocence doesnt make justice blind, it just means that guilt must be proven.
dianeh
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 3465
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down

Murat To Get Damages From Papers Empty libel damages

Post by calcite51 Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:11 pm

Diane, I agree with you - I mentioned one time that I was really, really struggling when the Drs. returned to England - I definitely supported them and their decision to return to England and yet, in my heart I knew had it been Murat, I would be guilty of accusing him of running away. It is however, unfortunate if he or someone do not sue the Portuguese newspapers as most of the garbage leaks were being fed by the Portuguese papers. It would be an injustice to the Portugal people if the Portuguese newspapers were not held accountable in my humble opinion.
calcite51
calcite51
Star Poster
Star Poster

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Murat To Get Damages From Papers Empty MOre on the Libel

Post by dianeh Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:58 pm

I also dont see that Murat is making money from Madeleine. It is the papers that made the money off Madeleine, and also at the expense of the lives of the McCanns and Murat. Murat deserves the payment from the papers, it is the papers who are at fault, not Murat. They libelled him, not the other way around. It is his life and reputation that has been ruined and he can do whatever he likes with the money.
dianeh
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 3465

Back to top Go down

Murat To Get Damages From Papers Empty More on the libel

Post by tulip Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:10 pm

I also struggled with this one Diane. Of course one could argue that Murat's home was in PDL so departure would really be 'running away', whereas the McCanns'home was in the UK and they were simply taking their toddlers back. They couldn't stay there forever in a rented villa. Their work. family and friends also were all over here. Their entire support network.

And of course Murat is entitled to damages. The more the press is taken to task for its irresponsibility the better. They might even learn a lesson -- a commentator on the BBC last night said as much. But I can't help thinking that the amount they paid out is nothing compaerd with the amount they made out of their libels of both parties.

The guy on the BBC ( a journalist) also made the point that newspaper circulation is steadily dropping, as people get their news from other sources. So they are more and moe willing to push the boundaries.
tulip
tulip
Learner
Learner

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Back to top Go down

Murat To Get Damages From Papers Empty Re: Murat To Get Damages From Papers

Post by helenm Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:04 pm

I really don't have a problem with Murat suing for damages, by upholding the 'innocent until proved guilty' maxim how could I? Since this whole media circus started and the shambolic way that events have been reported, I vowed to take anything reported in the media with a huge pinch of salt. I remember years ago someone telling me that a third of what you read in the newspapers is the truth, the rest is poetic licence. How true.

It is about time that the editors of these newspapers were held accountable and hit where it hurts more, in their pockets. Not that the puny damages awarded in anyway would make a hole of any size in the purse that has been made out of this whole sad case., (I'm with Tulip on that one) However, hopefully (not holding my breath on this one) editors will think twice before publishing stories as fact when there is little or no evidence to support the same.

The media as well as the Portuguese judiciaria have found to their cost that they have entered an arena where the opponent will not just simply lie down and submit to anything thrown at them. They suffered at the might of the Mccanns and their unquestioning belief that Madeleine is still out there and alive, parents who will not give up hope.

Murat has the might of Max Clifford behind him, to guide him, and why not? I don't for one minute think that Max Clifford will let any newspaper off the leash and if that means suing the Portuguese newspapers he will do it. We don't know whether proceedings have already been instigated against these newspapers in Portugal, afterall as we know things take that extra bit of time here. One thing is sure IMO, that the Portuguese Judiciaria did the media, British or Portuguese no favours when they leaked that they had no real evidence against anyone to lay charges. If the Judiciaria cannot prove the stories leaked then how can the media?
helenm
helenm
Learner
Learner

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Murat To Get Damages From Papers Empty Re: Murat To Get Damages From Papers

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down