Justice 4 ALL Madeleine McCann Family
You need to be a member of this forum in order to view its entire contents.
We welcome applications to join the forum from genuine caring compassionate people that wish to support Mr Mrs McCann in their never ending resolve to finding their daughter Madeleine and bringing her back home where she truly belongs.

All applicants are checked out so people with no sense, no moral compass, no rationality and only half a brain cell and even less grip on reality and who are devoid of all logic - need NOT apply!
This also applies to ex-members, who no longer want to be members, yet spend their lives viewing this forum and telling people they no longer want to be members.
This is said without prejudice with no one in particular in mind.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You need to be a member of this forum in order to view its entire contents.
We welcome applications to join the forum from genuine caring compassionate people that wish to support Mr Mrs McCann in their never ending resolve to finding their daughter Madeleine and bringing her back home where she truly belongs.

All applicants are checked out so people with no sense, no moral compass, no rationality and only half a brain cell and even less grip on reality and who are devoid of all logic - need NOT apply!
This also applies to ex-members, who no longer want to be members, yet spend their lives viewing this forum and telling people they no longer want to be members.
This is said without prejudice with no one in particular in mind.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bennett to be sued for libel - at last!

4 posters

Go down

Bennett to be sued for libel - at last! Empty Bennett to be sued for libel - at last!

Post by Pedro Silva Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:34 pm

My friends, this was taken from PFA2:

EDWARD SMETHURST ISSUES A LIBEL SUMMONS AGAINST TONY BENNETT
Article filed 16 August 2011

On 9 August 2011, Mr Edward Smethurst, the Co-ordinating Solicitor for Drs Gerald and Kate McCann, issued a libel summons against Madeleine Foundation Secretary Tony Bennett, a fact he found out on returning yesterday from a 10-day holiday. The claim is limited by Mr Smethurst to ‘a sum not exceeding £100,000’.

The summons, technically called a Defamation Claim, was accompanied by an ex parte Order also made on 9 August by Master Eyre in the High Court, which requires that “any non-party seeking access to, or copies of any documents before the court or on court records (including statements of case and witness evidence) must make an application for such access on notice to the parties. Documents filed at court in respect of this action are to be placed in a sealed envelope marked: ‘Not to be provided to any non-party without the leave of a Judge or the Senior Master of the Queen’s Bench Division and on prior notice to the parties’.”

The Claim relates to postings made by Tony Bennett about Mr Smethurst on the ‘Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann’ (CMOMM) forum between 9 and 12 May. The case has been assigned to Master McCloud.

Mr Smethurst’s concerns about one thread in particular were first brought to Mr Bennett’s attention on 4 August. Carter-Ruck, who act for Mr Smethurst, in the second of two letters sent that day, demanded: “Should you now fail to remove the defamatory postings…we will advise our client to issue proceedings for libel against you without further notice to you”. The allegedly defamatory postings were removed the following day, the day Mr Bennett began a 10-day holiday.

On his return from holiday yesterday, Mr Bennett discovered that Mr Smethurst had already issued libel proceedings, on Tuesday 9 August, in relation to two other threads on CMOMM which had not previously been brought to his attention by Mr Smethurst. These two threads about Mr Smethurst were removed from CMOMM as soon as Mr Smethursts’ libel summons was brought to the attention of CMOMM’s administrators.

Proposals to settle the dispute will shortly be put forward by Mr Bennett who has in the meantime agreed not to discuss the subject matter of his postings. We will publish further developments in the case as and when they happen.

Madeleine Foundation Committee, 16 August 2011

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional note: In response to two letters from Carter-Ruck to me dated 4 August 2011, this forum's administrators decided the following day, as a precaution, to remove one of the Edward Smethurst threads from public view. On my return from holiday yesterday, I discovered that despite that thread having been removed at Smethurst's request, he had issued a libel writ on Tuesday 9 August, whilst I was away on holiday in Wales, citing two other threads on this forum that he claimed libelled him. Again, the administrators made a prompt decision to remove those two further Smethurst threads from public view - T.B.

Pedro Silva
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 5592
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Bennett to be sued for libel - at last! Empty Re: Bennett to be sued for libel - at last!

Post by Sabot Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:50 pm

He's lying, again. There was nothing Prompt about it. They leave this rubbish up for as long as they think they can get away with it.

Sabot
Star Poster
Star Poster

Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Bennett to be sued for libel - at last! Empty Re: Bennett to be sued for libel - at last!

Post by dianeh Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:06 pm

Sabot, I agree.

Bennett acts as though this is some game. It might be to him but it is a very expensive one. Especially when playing with the big boys.
dianeh
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 3465
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabot Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:40 pm

I don't know what "Dispute" Bennett thinks he is going to settle. There is no dispute. Bennett committed Libel.

Sabot
Star Poster
Star Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dianeh Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:14 pm

Good point.
dianeh
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Silva Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:06 am

Yes, I agree with Sabot.

TB committed libel. TB has to be punished very hard.

Pedro Silva
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinkerbell43 Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:04 pm

I understand Kate and Gerry have gone for him again too. Carter Ruck ARE proceeding with contempt of court.

I think it is game, set and match to the big boys and Bennett can't blame anyone else but himself. Be interesting to see who he tries to take down with him!.

Tinkerbell43
Tinkerbell43
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1473
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Silva Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:09 pm

I agree with you Tinkerbell.

Pedro Silva
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabot Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Tinkerbell43 wrote:I understand Kate and Gerry have gone for him again too. Carter Ruck ARE proceeding with contempt of court.

I think it is game, set and match to the big boys and Bennett can't blame anyone else but himself. Be interesting to see who he tries to take down with him!. Quote.

That will indeed be interesting. He tried to blame 3As for his first booklet, and insisted that he had just chronicled it.
He now calls himself one of a group of Researchers, so no doubt he will blame the other Researchers.

Last edited by Sabot on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:28 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Mucked up the quote.)

Sabot
Star Poster
Star Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dianeh Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Well, what did he really expect was going to happen? Did he think that this 'game' could go on indefinitely?

He truly has only himself to blame. I hope the adulation from the McCann haters was worth it.
dianeh
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down