Justice 4 ALL Madeleine McCann Family
You need to be a member of this forum in order to view its entire contents.
We welcome applications to join the forum from genuine caring compassionate people that wish to support Mr Mrs McCann in their never ending resolve to finding their daughter Madeleine and bringing her back home where she truly belongs.

All applicants are checked out so people with no sense, no moral compass, no rationality and only half a brain cell and even less grip on reality and who are devoid of all logic - need NOT apply!
This also applies to ex-members, who no longer want to be members, yet spend their lives viewing this forum and telling people they no longer want to be members.
This is said without prejudice with no one in particular in mind.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You need to be a member of this forum in order to view its entire contents.
We welcome applications to join the forum from genuine caring compassionate people that wish to support Mr Mrs McCann in their never ending resolve to finding their daughter Madeleine and bringing her back home where she truly belongs.

All applicants are checked out so people with no sense, no moral compass, no rationality and only half a brain cell and even less grip on reality and who are devoid of all logic - need NOT apply!
This also applies to ex-members, who no longer want to be members, yet spend their lives viewing this forum and telling people they no longer want to be members.
This is said without prejudice with no one in particular in mind.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ban computers from schools until children reach age of 9 says expert

4 posters

Go down

Ban computers from schools until children reach age of 9 says expert Empty Ban computers from schools until children reach age of 9 says expert

Post by Pedro Silva Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:26 pm

My friends, this was taken from the Daily Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/primaryeducation/7823259/Ban-computers-from-schools-until-children-reach-age-9-says-expert.html

Pedro Silva
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 5592
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Ban computers from schools until children reach age of 9 says expert Empty Re: Ban computers from schools until children reach age of 9 says expert

Post by maria Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:27 pm

Ban computers from schools until children reach age of 9 says expert 985497 Ban computers from schools until children reach age of 9 says expert 985497 Ban computers from schools until children reach age of 9 says expert 985497
I think we should send this article to our government. I do NOT endorse this computer usage from 5/6 years, I always thought it is damaging. We have the example of the usage of calculators, our 40s and younger generations are doing great with PSs, PCs, mobiles, but they can't make any calculation by heart or even speak our language properly.
maria
maria
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Ban computers from schools until children reach age of 9 says expert Empty Re: Ban computers from schools until children reach age of 9 says expert

Post by Pedro Silva Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:51 am

I agree with you Maria, you´re right my friend.

Pedro Silva
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dianeh Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:51 am

I disagree.

Computers are a valuable tool in learning. My 5 yo reads at a level higher than those in the year above her. My 4 yo can read at a first year school level. They learned to read from the computer. Of course, I do read to them, and encourage them to read all sorts of things, from tomato sauce bottles to road signs, but they need to read to use the computer, and they do.

But the computer cannot take the place of face to face learning, and it does not teach fine motor skills such as writing, drawing etc. Computer usage should be limited at school, but it should be available, as many children do not have access to computers in their homes, so school is the only place it is available.

I certainly will agree that a kindergarden (Preps, first year at school, not sure what it is called in other countries) student does not need individual computers, and should not have them supplied. Even at the age of 9, computer usage should be limited within school, and I would question why they are given individual computers. My neice is 9 and she has her first school computer. When I asked her what she uses it for, I couldnt get a straight answer and her Dad was making all sorts of excuses.

IMO, one of the big issues with using computers in schools, is it seems to be used in place of decent teaching. Most teachers are very good, caring and want the best for the kids. But the computer does not make a bad teacher good, nor does it make a poor corriculum good.
dianeh
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 3465
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by maria Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Well, the problem with Portugal is that computers are distributed to be taken home at the age of six, first school year. No, school is not a place to start using tools that do everything for you, it is a place to develop skills to understand the world and life and what's behind these wonderful tools.

It always reminds me the 7yo son of an ex-coleague. He was doing his home work and that day he had some division calculations. The father (himself with a degree in maths) told him to use the calculator to which he answered 'Later, to make sure I did it ok. For now, I want to learn'.

The other thing is that they may well learn how to read (although they don't need a computer to do that, nice little books will do the trick), but do they learn how to write? They don't need , the automated corrector will do the spelling for them.
maria
maria
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Silva Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:58 pm

My friend dianeh, like you say my friend, computer is a valuable tool in learning, but you my friend encourage your children to read other stuff, which is good. My friend, I agree that the computer should be used for learning skills, but not at kindergarten, I also agree "the computer cannot take the place of face to face learning, and it does not teach fine motor skills such as writing, drawing etc". I understand your point my friend, which is a good one. My friend dianeh when I wrote: "I agree that the computer should be used for learning skills", I was thinking about what Maria wrote: " school is not a place to start using tools that do everything for you, it is a place to develop skills to understand the world and life and what's behind these wonderful tools. The other thing is that they may well learn how to read (although they don't need a computer to do that, nice little books will do the trick), but do they learn how to write? They don't need , the automated corrector will do the spelling for them".

Pedro Silva
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dianeh Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:56 am

Maria, Pedro

It is wrong that young children should be given a computer to take home. In my daughter's school, there are 6 computers in the Kindergarden room. My neice 10 years old, has been given a computer to take home, so Im guessing that in the public schools, that this is about the age it happens. But I also know that my other nieces in high school have not been given school computers.

Young children are not responsible enough to look after a computer. Also, as I said, they will not learn the fine motor skills they need, such as for writing. Not only that, the cost is enormous, and the computers must have support staff, internet connections and be replaced every three years. That is such a massive cost, that the rest of the education must suffer.

Access to computers is what is needed, not computers at the cost of teachers, or traditional learning techniques.
dianeh
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 3465
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by clairesy Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:39 am

I agree with you dianne..

computers are part of the future.

i will give you an example

i was around 11 years of age and at school we were being taught computer studies!! the internet wasn't heard of at the time although computers was the big thing and everyone was getting into it.I had no interest at all.I hated it they scared me,i couldn't type to good and didn't even know what a space bar was!!!lol

My mum kept telling me off...telling me that computers was going to be the future and that i should apply myself better and learn more,get my head down and study them etc etc

i chose my options at age around 13 or 14 and i didn't choose computers(much to my mothers dismay!)I regretted it because law and behold just a couple of years later the www was born and i was even duller than ever!!!

my mum said...''i told you so''

Computers are the way forward(sadley) but its true....the government bring in these dam rules and enforcements yet they introduced us to this in the first place!!!

My little girl is age 7 and computers are a big part of their schooling...she as a ray of subjects in school only one is questioned by myself and that is welsh...the reason being???they have enough to learn in school without having another language rammed down their throats.Yes im welsh,yes my little girl is welsh...yes i like her learning welsh ....however i would prefer the welsh sessions to be taken up by more productive educational subjects like math english and computers...i feel it is more practical and useful to her than speaking a language that is rarely used in other parts of the uk(the welsh assembly would kill me for saying that!!)

computers are the future... you cant even go to asda or tescos now for your weekly shop unless your given the option to check yourself out using self service!!! If they want out children to only learn how to use computers at age 9 and above then maybe they should rearrange the way they run their schools altogether because my child as to use a electronic door to get into the dam place!!!She cant even go for lunch unless the electronic door allows them to walk a corridor!!
clairesy
clairesy
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 2698
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down